Frequently Asked Questions
Q: If I previously participated in the IP4IC study, can I participate in this study?
A: Yes! We encourage participation from everyone that is eligible and over the age of 18, who is a resident of the United States of America or is an armed service member stationed at a US military base.
Q: What if I can’t find any friends/relatives/co-workers to provide a control sample?
A: It is important that we collect as many healthy samples as possible. However, if you cannot find anyone else to send a sample it is okay. Just collect your sample and return it to us. Unused kits can be sent back using the shipping material provided.
Q: What if I can’t find friends/relatives/co-workers to provide a control sample near the same age as me?
A: Five to ten years younger or older than you is preferred, however any age is fine to send.
Q: If I have any additional questions, who do I contact?
A: If your question has not been answered here or in the instructions, you may click HERE to contact us, or call us at 248-551-1383
Q: Do the lifestyle changes in Q14 apply to all bladder conditions?
A: Yes, any lifestyle change you have made due to a bladder condition (IC, Bladder Cancer, Diabetes, OAB, etc) should be noted here.
Q: Is there any cost to me for participating?
A: No. All shipping is pre-paid.
Q: What do I have to return?
A: Please return the research study questionnaire and urine sample. The urine sample must go into the biohazard bag. This is then placed into the box and then finally into the large return mailing envelope. You can have more than one urine sample per return envelope.
The study information sheet is yours to keep.
Q: How should I store my sample before shipment?
A: Please store the sample at room temperature, away from direct sunlight, until you are ready to ship it. The urine collection cup contains a preservative that is most effective at room temperature. Do not place in refrigerator.
Q: What do I do if I accidentally switch the collection cups?
A: If this happens please make a note on the study questionnaire and the collection cup. You may also contact us at ICstudy@beaumont.org.
Q: When should I send my sample back?
A: As soon as possible once the sample is collected and the questionnaire is complete.
Q: How do I ship back the sample?
A: Simply place in your mailbox or drop off at any US Mail post office. Please do not ship your sample on a hot day (above 90 degrees F). Reference the video HERE for more information.
Q: How many samples can I ship back in one envelope?
A: There is an envelope included for each sample, however, if multiple samples are coming from one address you may return in one envelope.
Q: Does it have to be the first urine of the day?
A: No, any time that you can collect your sample is fine. Just make sure that you collect the sample mid-stream.
Q: How do I provide a clean catch urine sample?
A: Please follow the directions below, or view the YouTube video HERE.
1. Wash your hands.
2. Remove sterile container from packaging and open container.
3. Females spread their labia with one hand and start urinating into the toilet. Males retract the foreskin if necessary with one hand and start urinating into the toilet.
4. Do not collect the first urine that comes out. Collect a sample of urine mid-stream in the container provided without touching your skin.
5. Do not collect the last part of the urine and do not fill urine to the top. No more than half a container is needed.
6. Carefully, screw the container shut, making sure it is done evenly and securely. Carefully invert to make sure there are no leaks. Wipe off any excess urine from the outside of the container.
7. Now invert the container 20-30X to make sure the preservative mixes thoroughly with the sample. It is very important that the preservative is completely dissolved. Keep inverting until it is suspended as best you can.
8. Place the urine sample inside the provided bag.
9. Wash your hands.
Q: What if I can only provide a small sample?
A: Any amount you can provide is enough. Use whatever volume you collect to mix and suspend the preservative.
Q: What if the preservative is not dissolved after 20-30 inversions?
A: Continue to invert the collection cup until it is dissolved as best as possible. The amount of inversions varies from sample to sample. If you cannot get the pellet to completely dissolve after inverting for five minutes, that is okay. Please still send in your sample.